sitemeter

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mike McVey in Peoria

Mike visiting
 with Everette and Gertie.      

About 1965 A bunch of us guys who worked together at the Roper Stove plant in Kankakee decided to ride our motorcycles to Peoria to watch the motorcycle races. Grand Nationals as I remember. I split off from the group in Peoria to check in with Everette and Gertie while the others were planning on sleeping at the track in bedrolls. I was supposed to meet up with them at a bar in an hour or so then return to Everetts for some rest after tipping a few beers. The bar wasn't hard to find so I parked  my 1959 Indian Chief (made in the UK) by the other bikes and entered the huge building. I was the only white person there! I was confused because their bikes were out front. I continued to walk around the big room until I saw a white guy and then noticed that another bar area was beyond the wall. It was segregated by a wall and by race! First time I've ever been in a place like that! I went over to "my" side for a while and then went back to Everette's to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. my brother was doing his James Dean 74rd replacement pose. I spent sometime on Spitznagle in Peoria myself, was a nice house.
    jim lynch 6/20/2012.

    ReplyDelete